JIRA server migration with expired maintenance

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2017

Hi,

We have JIRA 5.1.6 with Atlassian support until Sep 2017, we are planning to upgrade this to 7.3.8 and migrate to a different server.

Here are the questions I have

1. Can we upgrade JIRA to 7.3.8 with maintenance license expired in Sep 2017?

2. Can we do server migration with expired maintenance?

3. What are the best ways to do the migration?

>can we install fresh 7.3.8 on a new server and use the same license? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2017

Hi Ash,

If your license is expired you will be able to migrate JIRA but you can only upgrade to a version of JIRA that was released before September 2017 which would include up to Jira Server 7.4.3.

Without a renewed license you lose access to Software Maintenance which includes upgraded releases and technical support:

Software maintenance, included in your first year of use, gives you the following benefits:

• Security patches
  • Critical bug fixes
  • New features & enhancements
  • Access to Atlassian's world-class Support team for technical troubleshooting
  • Developer license keys (lets you test the upgrades before committing!)
  • Potential to enroll to Beta Programs

In order for your software maintenance to remain active year-round, you must purchase it annually. Learn more about our renewing terms for software maintenance above. We also suggest making sure your business processes allow for frequent upgrades so your team can continue reaping the benefits enjoyed by other world class teams.

Take a look at Jira Software Licensing and Purchasing for more information about how licensing affects your instance.

Cheers,

Branden

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2017

@somethingblue thanks for the response, I will look into this.

Can we use the same license in different server ID?.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2017

You can.  Let me know if you have any issues with that but the Server ID and license are not bound.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2017

@somethingblueSure, thank you.

Tarun Kumar January 28, 2019

While i'm trying to use my expired license with the new server I got this error. How can i reuse my expired licence? server version : 7.10.0

jira.png

0 votes
Roberto Vargas April 9, 2019

Hi Tarun, you need a Jira version released before your license expired.

Suggest an answer