JIRA's Service ID somehow changed -- unable to Start from Windows Service.msc

So for the past two days our JIRA windows service has randomly stopped at pretty much the same time of the day. Yesterday we were able to just start the service and we went on our merry way.

Today it stopped at the same time, but we were unable to start the service via Services.msc in windows. We went through the logs, went through google, and were unable to pinpoint the issue. We discovered that somehow the service ID linked in the tomcat7.exe //RS parameter was different from the one in the registry. We hadnt done any upgrades or anything different with our JIRA installation. What might've caused this?

We also noticed a weird change in the web.xml file that complained about the servlet-class element not being closed off (so it didnt have a </servlet-class> piece). Neither I nor the other JIRA admin had changed this file.

Right now we're still unable to start the JIRA service, we had to do it manually in the JIRA/bin bat file.

Do any of you have any ideas why this might be happening?

1 answer

This looks a lot like a virus behavior. It won't hurt to check your machine using HijackThis.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,804 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot