JIRA is creating duplicate tickets automatically.

Neeta Dubey March 2, 2014

I am facing a weired issue in JIRA where the tool is creating duplicate tickets automatically.

For e.g a user created a ticket and assings however JIRA is creating a duplicate ticket with the same subject line and that ticket is left as unassigned.

i have checked this now for couple of ticket however its very uncertain.

Please advice how to troubleshoot such issues.

8 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

Ok, so what do the 287 original tickets all have in common? How were they created? (UI, REST, Plugin, Email, Trained penguin typist?)

0 votes
sb_timoteo_ponce October 10, 2014

The original issues were created a year ago, we where at ticket number 25-300, now we are at number 760. But suddenly today I woke up today and there are 287 new tickets with the same exact content that the initial tickets (25-300), this was done while I was not online and with my account. The tickets don't even have created_date of today, they have the exact same creation_date as the original ones. So I'm assuming that there were some database updates not done by JIRA.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

And how are you creating the original issues? And what do the duplicates have in common?

0 votes
sb_timoteo_ponce October 10, 2014

it's an attlassian on demand JIRA instance.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2014

You need to do what I suggested - start with how you're entering it. What do the duplicates have in common?

0 votes
sb_timoteo_ponce October 9, 2014

I have something similar, but in my case JIRA duplicated 287 tickets with all their content, it did it while I was offline, not sure about what to do.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2014

Start with how the issues are being created? UI, REST, Plugin, Email, trained penguin typist?

Sergio March 2, 2014

"trained penguin typist" ==> LOL

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj March 2, 2014

Do you see any errors when you run the Integrity checker?

Suggest an answer