JIRA is creating duplicate tickets automatically.

I am facing a weired issue in JIRA where the tool is creating duplicate tickets automatically.

For e.g a user created a ticket and assings however JIRA is creating a duplicate ticket with the same subject line and that ticket is left as unassigned.

i have checked this now for couple of ticket however its very uncertain.

Please advice how to troubleshoot such issues.

8 answers

Do you see any errors when you run the Integrity checker?

0 votes

Start with how the issues are being created? UI, REST, Plugin, Email, trained penguin typist?

"trained penguin typist" ==> LOL

I have something similar, but in my case JIRA duplicated 287 tickets with all their content, it did it while I was offline, not sure about what to do.

0 votes

You need to do what I suggested - start with how you're entering it. What do the duplicates have in common?

it's an attlassian on demand JIRA instance.

0 votes

And how are you creating the original issues? And what do the duplicates have in common?

The original issues were created a year ago, we where at ticket number 25-300, now we are at number 760. But suddenly today I woke up today and there are 287 new tickets with the same exact content that the initial tickets (25-300), this was done while I was not online and with my account. The tickets don't even have created_date of today, they have the exact same creation_date as the original ones. So I'm assuming that there were some database updates not done by JIRA.

0 votes

Ok, so what do the 287 original tickets all have in common? How were they created? (UI, REST, Plugin, Email, Trained penguin typist?)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,156 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot