JIRA incoming mail problem

Hi,

I want to use incoming mail to create new issues.

When I test the mail handler, it failed:

DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.4.5
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name: {com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol: {imaps=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtps=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3s=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.address.map
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] Session providers: [[javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc]]]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] Session addressMap: [{rfc822=smtp}]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.fetchsize: 16384
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.statuscachetimeout: 1000
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.appendbuffersize: -1
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.minidletime: 10
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: trying to connect to host "xxx", port 143, isSSL false
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] A0 CAPABILITY
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LOGINDISABLED STARTTLS UIDPLUS CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+
A0 OK CAPABILITY completed.
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: protocolConnect login, host=xxx, user=abc, password=<non-null>
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [plugins.mail.webwork.VerifyMailServer] Unable to connect to the server at xxx due to the following exception: com.sun.mail.iap.ProtocolException: No login methods supported!
2013-08-01 12:25:21,539 Finalizer DEBUG      [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] C: QUIT
2013-08-01 12:25:21,539 Finalizer DEBUG      [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] C: QUIT

What can I do?

4 answers

1 vote

The mail server is configured to only accept secure encrypted connections.

Telnet just proves that it is listening on that port, NOT that it will let you in without a certificate. Also, the secured connection is probably not on port 22. Try "telnet host 993" (993 is the default port for encrypted IMAP connections if I remember this correctly).

0 vote

The Exchange mail server does not seem to be set up to accept standard imap over ssl with starttls as the authentication. You'll need to talk to the Exchange admins. I seem to remember Imap is generally disabled by default in Exchange, in favour of the less useful proprietary MAPI protocol.

I did not say it wasn't running, I said it is not set up to let you in.

You need to configure it to accept the connections you are making.

the imap service is running

the (mail)user account is set up to an imap-account

I test imap with an other emailclient, the test was sucessful.

Only JIRA failed with the IMAP connection

Then you've put the wrong details into the Jira configuration. The error messages you are getting back from the server are very clear - the Exchange server is NOT configured to accept the type of connection you have configured in Jira. The user name and password may well be fine, but Exchange is telling Jira "I am not configured to let you log in this way".

I'd suggest you look at the security settings on the other email client - I suspect you'll find it's using a zero-security plain login, whereas I think your log is saying Jira is trying to use a secure connection, and Exchange isn't accepting it.

Hi Nic,

I am having the same problem where if I telnet the host, it connects, but if I use the same host name and enter it in JIRA incoming mail settings, it says certificate not found.

One thing to note is that, if I enable -Dmail.imap.starttls.enable=true then it will say certificate not found. If I remove that, it will say 'No login supported' The thing is though, if I telnet the host name, its shows connection is OK.

Thank

Anand

As nic mentioned above it is being blocked by the SA to access JIRA app. I got it working by asking the team who setup the IMAP to allow JIRA application to access it.

Nic can you please change your comment to answer so I can accept it?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

800 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you