JIRA incoming mail problem

Wolfgang Grudda July 31, 2013

Hi,

I want to use incoming mail to create new issues.

When I test the mail handler, it failed:

DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.4.5
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name: {com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol: {imaps=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtps=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3s=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.address.map
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] Session providers: [[javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc], javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc]]]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] Session addressMap: [{rfc822=smtp}]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc]
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.fetchsize: 16384
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.statuscachetimeout: 1000
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.appendbuffersize: -1
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: mail.imap.minidletime: 10
2013-08-01 12:25:21,336 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: trying to connect to host "xxx", port 143, isSSL false
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] A0 CAPABILITY
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LOGINDISABLED STARTTLS UIDPLUS CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+
A0 OK CAPABILITY completed.
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] DEBUG: protocolConnect login, host=xxx, user=abc, password=<non-null>
2013-08-01 12:25:21,352 [plugins.mail.webwork.VerifyMailServer] Unable to connect to the server at xxx due to the following exception: com.sun.mail.iap.ProtocolException: No login methods supported!
2013-08-01 12:25:21,539 Finalizer DEBUG      [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] C: QUIT
2013-08-01 12:25:21,539 Finalizer DEBUG      [com.atlassian.mail.incoming] C: QUIT

What can I do?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2013

The Exchange mail server does not seem to be set up to accept standard imap over ssl with starttls as the authentication. You'll need to talk to the Exchange admins. I seem to remember Imap is generally disabled by default in Exchange, in favour of the less useful proprietary MAPI protocol.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2013

I did not say it wasn't running, I said it is not set up to let you in.

You need to configure it to accept the connections you are making.

the imap service is running

the (mail)user account is set up to an imap-account

I test imap with an other emailclient, the test was sucessful.

Only JIRA failed with the IMAP connection

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2013

Then you've put the wrong details into the Jira configuration. The error messages you are getting back from the server are very clear - the Exchange server is NOT configured to accept the type of connection you have configured in Jira. The user name and password may well be fine, but Exchange is telling Jira "I am not configured to let you log in this way".

I'd suggest you look at the security settings on the other email client - I suspect you'll find it's using a zero-security plain login, whereas I think your log is saying Jira is trying to use a secure connection, and Exchange isn't accepting it.

Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2013

Hi Nic,

I am having the same problem where if I telnet the host, it connects, but if I use the same host name and enter it in JIRA incoming mail settings, it says certificate not found.

One thing to note is that, if I enable -Dmail.imap.starttls.enable=true then it will say certificate not found. If I remove that, it will say 'No login supported' The thing is though, if I telnet the host name, its shows connection is OK.

Thank

Anand

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2013

The mail server is configured to only accept secure encrypted connections.

Telnet just proves that it is listening on that port, NOT that it will let you in without a certificate. Also, the secured connection is probably not on port 22. Try "telnet host 993" (993 is the default port for encrypted IMAP connections if I remember this correctly).

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2013

Nic can you please change your comment to answer so I can accept it?

Thanks

IT Admin July 14, 2018

Hi Anand,

i am having exactly the same issue, imap service running on exchange server 2013, i can telnet but can't connect from jira, error is no login methods supported!

I you have already resolved this issue please advise. thanks in advance.

DEBUG IMAP: protocolConnect login, host=123.abc.com, user=xyz@abc.com, password=<non-null>
DEBUG IMAP: mechanism PLAIN not supported by server

DEBUG IMAP: mechanism LOGIN not supported by server

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2018

You need to set up your mail server to accept the login from the Jira server.  The errors you are seeing are clear - it's not configured to allow login.

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

As nic mentioned above it is being blocked by the SA to access JIRA app. I got it working by asking the team who setup the IMAP to allow JIRA application to access it.

Suggest an answer