JIRA SD cloud vs server

How do customers choose between the cloud version of JIRA Service Desk and the server version?  Can you point me at any documentation that says that one is more appropriate than another?  We are a medium sized company (1,500 - 2,000 employees) with a fairly large (80 person) global IT team.  Not sure if this would impact the decision or not.

We currently have server versions of Confluence and JIRA.  What are the issues (if any) of having a cloud version of JIRA SD and a server version of Confluence (which will contain our knowledge base) and JIRA (which will integrate with JIRA SD for certain ticket escalations).

Please let me know if there's any recommendations knowing that both options can technically work for us.

Thanks,

Amy

1 answer

1 vote

Start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/pros-and-cons-of-cloud-vs-server-691011844.html

But they do leave out some stuff:

• If you want >2,000 users (not service desk customers, but actual JIRA / Confluence users), you need Server. 
  • If you have a huge installation, you'll need Server on Data Centre
  • If you want to store personal data on it, you need Server (Cloud is hosted in the US, making it illegal to store quite a lot of types of personal data on it for EU users)
  • There is mention of the limited list of add-ons you can use on Cloud, but frankly, that lack of flexibility is the main driver we see for people migrating off Cloud and on to Server (whether they self-host the server or get a third-party to do it).  People need Script Runner, the integrated reporting add-ons, the PPM tools, etc

You should still be able to integrate JIRA on Cloud and confluence on Server (or vice versa)

Thanks for this -  can you describe "flexibility is the main driver.."  a little more?  

We get a lot of people saying "JIRA is great, but I need it to do X, and I can't see how to do it on Cloud", to which the response is always either "you need some code to do that" or "there's an add-on that does that".  You can't add most of the add-ons to Cloud and you can't make code changes.  The flexibility to do so on Server makes JIRA and Confluence viable for a lot of people.

I am not sure about one thing: does Jira Service Desk Server and Cloud have Language Support Support for Customer Portal? I am asking this because I am trying to find some information about it in Atlassian site but I still didn't found anything. I am running JSD 3.5.3 and I don't have that option in Project settings (Language Support). So, I am not sure if this is happening because language support is only available to some version of Jira ou maybe only to Jira cloud. Can you give me an answer on this issue please?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

455 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you