JIRA - No batch emails alternatives?

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

So we recently get complains that people is getting too many emails - the question they have is "why are we getting one email PER field change when we make the same changes in one go". I notice that there are plenty of existing tickets open and wonder if there is any other alternatives that is not commercial (this one is nice, but cost $$ and not even sure if it works on 4.4)

Does anyone has any suggestion other than turn off all Issue Update Event notification and send email only by custom event?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2012

That doesn't sound right to me - all the Jira installs I've used send one email per change. An issue update can affect 1 field or 30 but each user to be notified gets one single email saying "the issue has been changed". Have I misunderstood the question?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

That's odd. There must be some external configuration that is messing with it.

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2012

That's not what I am seeing. I can change 5 fields in one edit, and get 5 emails. This is on 4.4.1 and 4.4.4, did I somehow setup notification wrong?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2012

Might be due to multiple users with the same mail address. Can you check this ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2012

I've never seen Jira do that, it's one email per change.

As Dieter says, if you've got 5 users to email, all with the same email address, you'll get 5 emails. But you'd get 5 emails irrespective of the number of changes made.

The only thing I can think of is a batch of tweaked code in your install, or a listener doing it - the Jira rule is one email per event, so there must be code reading the changes in the events and generating multiple emails!

Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2022

@Eva8 @You said this is for JIRA version 4? Are you using Service Management by chance?

Suggest an answer