JIRA Link Issue Limitation using Advanced Search option

William Wells October 23, 2013

We are trying to link all of the stories/bugs/Technical Task issue types to a Release Request Issue type. When we use the built-in Link option, we try to use the Advanced Search option with JQL as follows:

project = PROJ AND issuetype in (Bug, Story, "Technical Task") AND fixVersion = "PROJ v1.0.0"

We get a return of about 10 issues, but we know there are about 50 that we know are associated. Is there a limitation to how many issues can be returned within the Link search or a work around that would provide us with the capability?

Our current work around is to simply export the results from the query above (ran outside of the Link Search) and attach that document to the Release Request.

10 answers

5 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

Seems to be hard-coded:

url = contextPath + "/rest/api/2/search?jql=" + jql + "&maxResults=10";

That will be tucked away in jira-issue-link-remote-jira-plugin.jar.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

I was able to change it in chrome dev tools, and that worked... maybe that's a workaround.

Like Bo Bøgvald likes this
Danny Baute August 2, 2015

Hey Jaime, where did you find it in dev tools?

Matt Evans January 27, 2016

@Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] can you please provide instructions to change this in chrome dev tools?

4 votes
ennemosc October 4, 2016

I found a workaround that is at least working for me:

(1) run the (advanced) query you'd like

(2) export the list of results via the option "Export / Excel (Current fields)" - be sure to export also the key

(3) open Excel and select all cells including the desired keys and copy them to the clipboard (CTRL-C)

(4) open the More / Link option and paste the clipboard into the issues field (CTRL-V)

(5) voila

I did not test the maximum possible number of issues, but 100 seem to work. (More are producing a gateway timeout in our environment) 

Štěpán Vaněk October 5, 2016

i just linked 119 issues using this procedure, however we stopped linking all issues like that to release issue as Atlassian meanwhile added a feature "releases" linked from agile board that gives you necessary overview. Anyway thanks for sharing your procedure smile 

1 vote
Štěpán Vaněk March 8, 2015

hi,

i definitely understand the issue, i am meeting the same one and it complicates whole Release workflow process. If you need to link more issues then 10 to release issue, since 11th one you have to do it one by one. In our last release, there were about 50 issues linked to release issue, so it was very annoying. Could you please suggest any other workaround, or just cancel this limit for which i cant see any reason.

Of course i can describe once again whole process how i got to the problem, even it seems to me quite obvious.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2013

There's no link search in your query, just a simple search for project, issue type and fix version. That's probably returning the correct answer, so you'll need to expand on how you "know there are about 50". Start by looking at how are you actually defining this "link"?

William Wells October 23, 2013

I'm not looking to search for a link. I'm looking to search for issues and link the returned values. You can link multiple issues (let's call these children issues) to another (parent issue) by using the Advanced search capability found in the "Link" option. The query I provided above is an example of the query we used. The problem is, we know there are more issues that meet the criteria of the query, but when using the Advanced Search in the "Link" option, we are only getting a small portion of the returns.

If I use that same query from Issues>Search for Issues, we get around 50 issues returned. When I am in the issue I want to link the other issues to (parent issue) and use the More>Link option and do the same query search in the Advanced Search option within there is where we are not getting the desired returned values.

0 votes
Prince Singh October 27, 2020

Is there any solution to this issue? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

See above

Prince Singh October 27, 2020

@Nic There are workaround given and i tested, It works for me. However i see that the issue raise https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-47695 is still in gathering interest status.

0 votes
William Wells April 13, 2016

I should add that we apply a fixVersion to all of our tickets and a label identifying which RC changes are applied. That's the query we use to get our list. You could break that down more so by using more issue types. Useful if you're trying to get detailed metrics such as the # of bugs per release, etc...

0 votes
William Wells April 13, 2016

I'm a little surprised this discussion is just now getting noticed. It does appear that there's a "workable" solution now. When linking select the Web Link option and you can use the same query you would normally use, but copy the URL from your results into the allocated slot. You can change the link text to match what you want. For instance, we might plan for multiple release candidates so my link text might look like "4.1.0 RC1 Changeset". It's actually a lot cleaner looking too. 

Štěpán Vaněk April 14, 2016

yeah, you can also add release issue to same version and then click through the version number. But that is a workaround, issue list is not displayed on 1 page within release issue. However Atlassian is reffered to as agile company with great customer approach, this stupid bug (easy to solve) is lying here for several years. 

0 votes
Nicole McKenzie December 8, 2015

has anyone found a logged bug to vote on for this issue?

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2015

Is this still not configurable? A customer of ours has the same problem...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2013

I'm still not entirely sure I understand the question, so I'll try paraphrasing and see if you can correct my understanding (or confirm it).

You aren't actually talking about link limitations, or the results of the search from the query, but the "suggestions" box that comes up when you start trying to create a link? Your JQL is fine and works, but the suggestions box only pulls up a handful of what it thinks are the issues you are most likely to try to select the links from?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Under the suggestions text box there is a link "search for an issue", then "advanced search". It's new to me...

Vidal Abad April 12, 2016

That's pretty much the issue. Looks like someone eventually opened up an issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-47695

Štěpán Vaněk April 13, 2016

@Vidal Abad thanks i also added my vote and comment there. 

Suggest an answer