JIRA - How to import avatars from server to Cloud

Alfonso Fernandez April 11, 2018

Hello Atlassians,

After restoring our Jira server backup to Jira Cloud yesterday, we've noticed that avatars are missing.

The backup import worked okay, but there are no avatars restored. I think this happened because on the export.xml (zip), avatars were never included.

Now that everything looks sort of ok, we'd like to import the avatars to have an identical site like the one we had in our on-prem Jira.

Is there any option to just restore avatars without having to import the whole site again? (It took 6-7h to import the xml + attachments)

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2018

Hi Alfonso,

Unfortunately, there is no option to import just avatars. 

The only solution that I can find will be users to access https://id.atlassian.com/profile/profile.action and choose to Upload Avatars from here.

Cheers,

Ramona

Alfonso Fernandez April 11, 2018

Then, as I understand, project avatars must be uploaded manually too, right?

Thanks for your help!

Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2018

Yes, because the backup does include project avatars, and you can import project avatars using the import attachments option.

Cheers,

Ramona

Gerald Rich May 18, 2018

Hi Ramona,

I'm trying to do the same migration as Alfonso. Just curious, is there a method to restore avatars if I downloaded them from Jira Server along with the attachments.

During the migration, there were options for uploading a backup with issues and uploading attachments. Is there a third migration step somewhere to upload avatars?

Alfonso Fernandez May 20, 2018

Hey Gerald,

If I recall correctly, uploading a zip with just the avatars folder should work.

I followed this documentation;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-issues-776636788.html

Basically you need to create a .zip file with that structure but the only folder populated should be the avatars one.

Maybe Ramona can give you better insight :)

Saludos!

Like Manish R likes this
Paul Newport July 4, 2018

That's how you backup the avatars, but what option do you take to restore the zip file containing the avatars directory ?

Suggest an answer