It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA File is not a valid backup issue

Ran into a problem that others might have, figured I would record it here.  When Exporting a Backup from one Jira instance to another while attempting a migration, I ran into the error that "The file **** is not a valid Jira backup".  Since I had just created it from another Jira instance of the same build, I was surprised to see this.  No edits by me, other than moving it between instances.

I tried recreating the backup, moving it different ways between VMs, but no success.  Finally, I tried literally copying the backup RIGHT AFTER IT WAS MADE to the Import folder of the SAME Jira instance, and going to Project Import just to see what was up.  Same error...

I'm not a linux person usually, so this may be obvious to some, but the less than helpful error message was trying to tell me that I didn't have PERMISSION to access this file.  I had moved it from Export to Import while root, so the jira process couldn't access it, but didn't have a better way to tell me.

CHMOD 666 on the backup file and no more problems.

Not obvious to me, so hopefully that helps someone going through the same issue.

2 answers

You saved my bacon Jeff! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Thank you to Jeff! 

Atlassian should provide much better error logging.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

932 views 8 25
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you