Issues linking markup

mdesantis1 July 22, 2014

I can't find the right syntax for issue linking. I want to mark an issue as blocked by another one; I tried this syntax

is blocked by [TS-10]

But it doesn't seem to work. What syntax should I use?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2014

Where are you trying this?

A Jira text field will simply spot TS-10 and create a direct link to it where you've typed it. There's nothing more complex than that, it won't create a full "issue link" just because you type in a bit of text in a field.

mdesantis1 July 22, 2014

I'm trying it in the issue description of the blocked issue. I can link the blocking issue using

[TS-10]

but I don't figure out how to set it as blocking (I'm talking about this feature: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Linking+Issues)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2014

As I said, just putting text in is a direct url link to the issue. It is NOT an issue link as described there.

To do issue-linking, click "More" then "link" on the menu as it says in the docs. It's nothing to do with the description field.

mdesantis1 July 22, 2014

Ok, I think I misunderstood, I took for granted it was possible to set an issue as blocked by another issue just writing in the issue; instead I can do it only using More -> Link, as you said. Thank you

0 votes
Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

As Nic noted, the optimal method for linking issues is to use the More button while viewing a specific issue and select the Link option.

This will let you select a specific linking relationship. You can use this information to filter results in the Issue Navigator via the "linkedissues()" function.

Something along the lines of

issue in linkedIssues("SRV-148","depends on")

would return any linked issues using this link relationship.

You can define your own link types to suit your specific needs.

Suggest an answer