Issue linking values and meaning

Using JIRA 5.0.7, I haven't yet found any documentation that explains the meaning of linking an issue to another issue with the options of "fulfilled by" and "fulfills". Can anyone point me to or explain what these options mean and their impact when linking issues?

2 answers

1 accepted

They don't matter, unless you want to report/export them. They currently can't be show in the Issue Navigator. We had to create a DB view with joins to report the link type (in/out). Therefore, we limited them to a couple of pairs.

Thanks, Martin. Good to know about the reporting/exporting capability here and the limitations within Issue Nav.....

Um, there is a "links" field, which will show them in the issue navigator...

1 vote

An explanation:

The wording does not technically matter in Jira. It's a label, which you put on a link type to show to your humans.

You can call your link types "Mr Flibble said" / "Was said by Mr Flibble" or "zut"/"tuz" for all Jira cares. I suspect "fulfills" is a good example of a good label for people doing dependency tracking type things, but you can use whatever you want. Sadly, we've got some rather tortured English in our link names, but it is clear-ish.

Note that there may be plugins that do care, and that when you use "clone", you get to default a prefix, but that's the minor exceptions.

Thanks, Nic. That clears things up nicely. I had thought perhaps using one of these link types would trigger an automatic closure of the issue that was fulfilled. Wishful thinking! :-)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

416 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you