Issue link properties

Viola Ehrensperger January 7, 2021

When linking two issues, I'd like to give additional information concerning this link. Is there some way how to do this?

It would be like a custom field but belonging to the link instead of an issue.

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

There is no way to do this OOTB. Now you may be able to get to your desired query goals by other means. You could consider something like Scriptrunner for more complex queries or maybe you could have a custom text field where you capture this extra info. Then you run your query by link type and expose this custom field in the results.  

I was afraid so, but was hoping for Add-Ons or the like which might solve the problem.

You mean a custom field for the issue type? hs doesn't solve my problem even if I could query it. Because this information belongs to the issue. It will be a common case that issue A ist linked to n issues with different addition information for each link. A subset of those n issues will also be linked to an issue B again with different information for each link.

I was also thinking along the lines of a new issue type holding this information and having two links to those issues it is supposed to link, i.e. using it as a custom link object. But then it will be even more complicated to display an overview over the information.

There I would need a matrix with the issues as dimensions and the additional information in the fields of the matrix in case two issues are linked.

0 votes
Bernhard Doleschel _Ease Solutions_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2022

We also looking for a solution to add further values/properties/information to a link relation between issues. 

Has anyone found a feature request ticket for Server/Data Center or Cloud already?

I´ve created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-74103 - input welcome.

0 votes
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

@Viola Ehrensperger 

I think you can utilize the comment field while linking issue. here you can describe why you are linking these issues.

kindly accept the answer if it resolves your issue!!

linking.png

Thanks for th quick response, but unfortunately it does not solve my issue.

The information I need to give is not associated with the issue, but with the link. It gives additional information about the link of issue A to issue B. I also need to query this information in connection with the link (queries like "find all issues with a certain link type to other issues and display this additional info").

If I use a comment like you suggested, it will solely show up in the comments section of issue A. It has no logical connection to the link (taking about the Jira object).

Suggest an answer