Issue importing csv file for custom field

Claire Berry February 18, 2021

Hi, I'm new to Jira. Currently working in a company migrating from another system (ServiceNow). I am working on building requests for our request portal. I wanted to create a custom field on the request form which on my previous system had 200 entries, so I exported it and imported into Jira with a CSV file.
I had some issues importing as I did not have a "summary" field. So looked at resolutions for this online and saw I needed to create a field called summary. So for the 200 entries I entered a title of Summary and just put in "Import" in each row.
The data imported and I created my custom field successfully, the only issue is that I also created 200 actual requests for each item when it imported which I did not want. Did I do something wrong here when importing? And is there a way to import without creating actual requests? Thanks

Capture.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

Hi @Claire Berry , 

what you did is exactly how I would have done it : it's the quickest way to populate custom fields.

You can now just delete those issues that you created, as they don't have any purpose anymore : go on the search bar and click on Advanced issue search, look for these issues and select Bulk Change and then delete option : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/edit-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time/

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Claire Berry February 18, 2021

Thank you Alexis! I have done that now. 

0 votes
ameer muhammad February 18, 2021

HH

Suggest an answer