Issue create sub-task as other type of issue

Hello everybody,

i have a question about the sub-tasks in Jira.

When I create a sub-task under a issue, this task has always the type of the parent issue. Is possible to create a sub-task from another type of issue?

For example: Parent issue "Kundenkontakt" --> Sub-Task "Aufgabe" ?

Thank you.

4 answers

Hi Björn,

this is possible.

If i create a subtask the first field in the dialog is the field for the issue-type.

Cheers, michael

Yes, it is possible to create a custom issue type with the name you want, e.g. "Aufgabe" and set it to type sub-task (Sub-Task Issue Type).

Hello Michael,

thank you for your answer.

I think I have expressed myself wrong. I want to have other fields in the sub-task.

For example, I have parent named "Customer Contact". This results in a sub-task called "Job".  This has its own assignee, a category, and other specific Fields etc. So actually a separate project. Is this possible in jira?

Thank you,

Greetings Björn

0 votes

It sounds like there's a little confusion here.

With JIRA, the available sub-task list is part of the issue list.  If you were to set up an issue type scheme of:

• Bug
  • Feature
  • Customer Contact
  • Job (subtask)
  • Technical Task (subtask)

Then a user clicking "create issue" will be offered "Bug", "Feature" and "Customer Contact".  A user creating a sub-task will be offered "Job" and "Technical Task".  Note that the parent issue type is irrelevant - Bugs, Features and Contacts can all have Jobs or Technical Tasks, or both.

To change (i.e. add/remove) issue types from this, check out the Project's "issue type scheme".

Outside the Issue/sub-task relationship though, sub-tasks behave as though they are just another "issue type".  This means you can hang different configurations off them.  I tend to use "screens" to do this - for your requirement, you'd create a different set of create/edit/view screens that include your category field and others, and apply those to the "Job" sub-task (technical tasks could stick with what the parents have, or even take another set of fields)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,865 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot