Issue count of JIRA Agile fields

For analysis purposes, I wanted to retrieve the custom field usage statistics from JIRA a database. I found out that issue counts resulted by SQL and JQL significantly differ.

For example;

select
  count(cfv.issue)
from
  customfield cf,
  customfieldvalue cfv
where
  cf.id = cfv.customfield and
  cf.cfname = 'Epic Colour' and
  cf.customfieldtypekey = 'com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-epic-color';

This shows an issue count of ~7000 in my JIRA instance, but following JQL results all issues (300,000+).

"Epic Colour" is not EMPTY

Is this normal? If so, what is the rationale behind this?

Thanks in advance!

--

Shaakunthala

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Shaakunthala,

JIRA only creates rows in the customfieldvalue table when there is an actual value for the field. That is, it doesn't store fields with 'Null' values (e.g. if an issue does not have an Epic Colour, there will be no row referencing the issue/value on the database).

That is the reason you see a difference when searching for values that exist vs values that doesn't exist. Try searching "Epic Colour" is EMPTY instead, and see if it returns the same values. smile

Cheers

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

702 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you