Issue Types: Service Request vs. Task vs. Sub-Task

David Anthony October 15, 2019

Hi,

In JIRA Service Desk, I've created an automation where when Service Request for a new employee is created, several tasks are created based off of what was entered into the components field (e.g. Laptop, Email etc..).  Should these tasks actually be sub-tasks?

What is the difference between the Service Request, Task and Sub Task issue types?  I just want to make sure I have the correct structure.

My assumption is that it goes Service Request -> Task -> Sub-task

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2019

Hello @David Anthony

Service request and Task are both issue types that can have a different workflow and fields associated with them. They dont behave any different in general but can have specific information related to them depending on whats important for a situation when you need it. 

Sub-tasks are tasks that have a parent issue. You dont have to set a Sub-task on the Task issue type (as the name suggests) you could just set it directly on a Service request if you want. 

In conclusion both Service request and Task are independent issue types, meanwhile a Sub-task need a parent issue. So your assumption is both right and a bit off, you can set it up that way if you want, but you dont have to, you could directly do Service request -> Sub-task.

Hope that solves your issue!

Tahamina Akter November 18, 2019

Is there an option to share the subtask with the customer? 

Suggest an answer