Issue Security - 'participants' only permission

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2011

Hi,

I'm a JIRA administrator and I need to set up a workflow according to the following security requirements.

* Issues should only visible to the reporter plus people who 'participate in', in which I define 'participants' as the set of individuals where each one has been a past or present assgnee of the particular issue.

For example, consider there are five people (A, B, C, D & E) in the project called XYZ.

- A creates an issue - it should only visible to A

- A assigns the issue to B - it should now visible to A & B. Not to the others.

- B assigns the issue to D - it should now visible to A, B & D. Not to the others. (note that B now is a past assignee)

I hope you understand the pattern that I explained here.

I have already tried this out with the JIRA toolkit plugin, but what it identifies as participants is, reporter + assignee + all commenters. So JIRA toolkit plugin does not seem to satisfy our requirement.

Highly appreciate if somenone could help me to sort out this.

Thank in advance!

-

Regards,

Shaakunthala.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2011

You can't do this, although your use of the participants field gets you very close. It fits well if B always comments on an issue when they reassign it, because they'll then be caught by the "all commenters" part of the plugin.

I think you'll need to take the "participants" code and extend it to build a plugin field that does go back over the history and extracts the past assignees.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2011

Hi Nic,

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer.

Is there a way to automatically add each assignee into a multi user picker custom fild during each transition? This should happen automatically with something like a post funtion.

So we can validate that custom field in permissions.

In our business case, assignee only changes during the transitions. No one can edit the issue and change the assignee.

If this works, I think we do not have any coding to do. :)

Cheers!

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

It's been a long time since I posted this question. I'm marking this as the best answer but I just mention the following alternatives that are also possible I guess.

• Upgrade to > 5.1 (where 'autowatch' feature is available) - here I forgot to mention in the question that my original requirement was to keep everyone notified via email (using the custom field). Autowatch covers that.
  • Write a groovy script to add current user to the multi-user custom field after each transition. However, this does not add the current user when commenting.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer