Issue Resolved template not sending?

Robin van Es March 21, 2016

Whenever I resolve an issue, the Reporter is not getting a notification for Issue Resolved.

This is only for a project created in the latest JIRA version. Projects that we created in an earlier Version of JIRA (5 I believe) send this notification just fine.

The projects use the same notification scheme.

2 answers

0 votes

Thank you for your help,

As far as I can see it looks just fine. The Resolve transition says "Fire a Issue Resolved event that can be processed by the listeners".

Under the notification scheme, the Issue Resolved event includes "Reporterer", and that notification scheme is shared by the 2 projects that I tested it with. Yet, for one project (one that is using the Service Desk add-on) the Resolved template is not being sent.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

Ah, Service Desk.  Yes, that can change the way the emails work.

Is the "reporter" user a JIRA user, or a customer?

It's a JIRA user. I'm actually setting myself as the reporter for testing purposes.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

"Customers" or the reporter/request participants, do not use the JIRA Notification Scheme. Please check out the relevant documentation – https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk021/configuring-jira-service-desk-notifications-693896343.html

When a customer submits a request, they receive the following email notifications:

• when they raise a request through the Customer Portal, 
  • when their request is resolved, 
  • when another user comments on their request, and 
  • when there is a change in the request's status, i.e. the 'status name'.  
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

On top of what Steven says, if you are testing with the same account as you use for the reporter, you may want to check the profile to ensure "email me on my own changes" is on.  Otherwise your resolved message won't be sent to you.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

Thanks Nic. smile To be clear, any JIRA User that is a "reporter" of a "request" is now a customer and thus falls under the purview of the aforementioned customer notifications.

Since Robin is setting himself as the Request Reporter, he is no longer using the "JIRA notification scheme" that he thinks he is.

Ah I understand, makes sense!

However since we would like to have a customer portal available for our customers, we only use the incident type "Service Request" so that the issues appear in the customer portal too. 

The thing is, we would also like to be able to make custom email templates, but as far as I know, the Service Desk templates are hard-coded and thus cannot be edited. Is there a work around available so that the default notifications are being sent to "customers" ?

Thanks again!

Edit: Why do I get a JIRA (Not service-desk) notification then when an issue has been created? When again I am setting myself as the reporter.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2016

Start with a look at the workflow for that issue type - find the "resolve" transition and look at the "post functions".  There will be one that says "fire event X" (probably going to be the "issue resolved" event, but you need to check).

Now, go check the notification scheme in the project.  Find the event and check that the rule includes "reporter" explicitly.

You also need to check that the user can see the issue.

Suggest an answer