Issue Filters for Boards

Aaron Lemley December 16, 2019

I'd like to setup an issue filter that excludes one particular epic.

When I setup a JQL query to exclude that epic - it seems to actually be functioning as an include. Does anyone have recommended syntax for excluding the stories associated with the epic and the epic itself, without inadvertently excluding stories not associated with any epic?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

Hi Aaron - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share the filter you have already? 

Maybe something like Project = ABC and (Key != ABC-123 and "Epic Link" != ABC-123)

where ABC-123 is the key of the Epic you want to exclude. 

Give that a try and see what happens. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Hi Aaron - Just check checking in on this. Did you get it to work?

Aaron Lemley December 30, 2019

This worked well for isolating only stories from a particular epic in a dedicated board. I was not able to exclude that same epic from my other board successfully but I will try a few other answers and see. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2019

Ah! Maybe try an OR instead of the last AND

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2019

Hi @Aaron Lemley ,

Try adding this syntax at the end of your query:

...AND NOT paretEpic = EPIC-101

...where EPIC-101 would be the issue key of the epic you want to exclude, together with its stories.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Hello Aaron,

you probably want to do something like this. Let me know if that works.

"epic link" != EpicName or "Epic Link" is empty
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2019

Any luck with this query? Let me know if you need additional help. Have a great day! 🙂

Suggest an answer