Is there any way to make a field required before transitioning to a specific workflow status?

katelyn.bossany December 9, 2019

I'm seeing other help articles, but it appears the plug-ins to make this possible require an additional cost. Are there any free options to do this? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2019

you can have a field required as part of a transition (unless you are using Next-gen projects in cloud). For classic projects:

• edit the workflow
  • add a Validator to the transition using one of the two options below

field req.jpg

katelyn.bossany December 9, 2019

Thanks Jack! Do you know where I can find this screen? I tried in both Administration and when editing a workflow, but I still can't find it. Thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2019

project settings > workflows

edit the workflow, select the transition in question and click on Validator then add validator.

Stefan Forstmoser _beecom_ December 10, 2019

Hi @katelyn.bossany 

JSU's 'Get started' documentation will guide you to the right direction:

https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Getting+Started+with+JSU+for+Server+-+Data+Center

Go through it by clicking 'Next'.

You will find the configuration of the Validators just next to the post functions.

Cheers,
Stefan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2019

@Stefan Forstmoser _beecom_, to be clear your comment refers to a solution requiring your addon. Katelyn's objective may or may not require an addon depending on the details of her needs.

Stefan Forstmoser _beecom_ December 11, 2019

Our 'Get started' will help Katelyn to find her way in Jira's workflow configuration. It applies to any validator, not only from our app.

1 vote
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2019

Hi @katelyn.bossany 

No, without plugins you can only make a custom field mandatory in the field configuration scheme for a project, which applies to all screens.

If you just want the validation in a workflow transition, then only option is to go for add-ons like - Jira Suite Utilities.

Regards
Gikku

Suggest an answer