Is there any way to create calculated fields in JIRA Cloud?

James Gill March 15, 2017

I am trying to add some Custom calculated fields to JIRA that will automatically calculate Start and Finish times given inputs of a Start Date, Start Time and Duration in decimal format (0.25 = 15 minutes).  I have found several plugins that would appear to do what I need but they are not available in JIRA Cloud.

Am I up S creek without a paddle or are there ways to do this in Cloud that I am not familiar with?

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Emma Rush _T_D_ July 29, 2020

Hi James, this is possibly a little late for your needs, but it's possible to do what you're looking to achieve in Jira Cloud using Automation, which is available for free as long as you're using it inside a single project. 

You can find some details here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-math-expressions/

4 votes
Inna Gordin February 22, 2021

Product Update to clarity the above reference to JMWE:

Feb 5th 2021 released features in JMWE for Jira Cloud support calculated fields using Event-based actions. How-to example can be seen here.  

Note: There are no execution limitations for JMWE for multi-project or global configurations, including in Jira Cloud Standard.

3 votes
Jon Bevan [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

Hi James,

We have an example of how you could implement a calculated custom field using ScriptRunner for JIRA Cloud in our documentation.

There are some significant differences between Server and Cloud which are worth bearing in mind. We've documented those here.

Thanks,

Jon

0 votes
Alex Yeates July 1, 2020

I have been looking at this problem as we have set up a risk register in Jira and needed to calculate the total risk value which is the product of consequence x frequency. It is only a 5 x 5 matrix but I have used the automation and setup a rule using the 'if' and 'else if' functions.

Start by creating 3 custom fields - Risk Consequence, Risk Frequency and Risk Rating.

Then using automation so that if the value of Risk Consequence or Risk Frequency changes the rule runs.

Then using nested If / If Else statements such as 'If Risk Consequence equals Catastrophic - If matches Risk Frequency equals very high, Then Edit issue field Risk Rating value = 25 unacceptable, Else If matches Risk Consequence equals High Then edit issue field Risk Rating value = 20 ...... and so on. Not a very clean way but it works for us.

Emma Rush _T_D_ July 29, 2020

Hi Alex, I know you found a way around this using Automation for Jira, but now it's possible to do exactly what you're looking for using smart values in Automation. They are really powerful https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-math-expressions/. 

Look out for an upcoming post on this! I'll link up here when we release it. 

Like Rachel Gornall likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2017

JMWE allows for some stuff, as does the Script Runner add-on now.

Suggest an answer