Is there any solution to creating a Feature level issue with epic parent and story child?

staceyking February 4, 2020

We are building our Jira Software cloud instance, we are also including Structure.  I am trying to create a feature issue type for this hierarchy:  epic / feature / story / sub-task.  

Is there any way to do this with out using Portfolio?  I have read a bunch old questions and answers for this same problem - but nothing new, and nothing suggested has worked for me.  We were looking to bring in Portfolio, however the cloud version is near useless and stripped of some key features (like Program).  If Portfolio cloud had these features (creating a new hierarchy and Program) - we would consider it as it solves or problem.

Does anyone know if adding an ability to create real issue types is coming?  

Any advice?  

2 answers

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Hello @staceyking

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add new hierarchies in Jira besides the default ones (Epics > Standard issue types > Sub-tasks) without any apps. We have a feature request to allow this kind of customization:

Sub-issues should be able to contain their own sub-issues 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, the Structure app provides you with new hierarchies that you can use to customize your issue type levels:

Structure - Project Management at Scale 

Let us know if you have any questions.

1 vote
Arkadiusz Głowacki February 6, 2020

Hi @staceyking 

Another tool you could try to achieve this is Panorama for Jira which has a custom hierarchy mechanism. It basically lets you configure which issue types are above/under others.

Best Regards

Arek

staceyking February 6, 2020

Thanks Arek - I will check that out!  Terribly frustrating that such a basic customization is not available out of the box.  You can see how many people have asked for this ability over the years....

Like Thomas GIROIRE likes this

Suggest an answer