Is there a way to reposition the comment input on a Jira issue?

Phil W June 1, 2018

We use Jira with the most recent comment at the top (by configuring the order for comment lists). However, in this case if I want to reply to that comment I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the comment input. In that case I can no longer see the comment I am replying to!

Can we have the comment input jump to the top of the list of comments when we set the order to be most recent first?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

I'm sorry, there seems to be no such option in Cloud yet.

Phil W June 1, 2018

My thanks for your attempt to find a way for me!

1 vote
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Hi @Phil Weighill-Smith

Yes, we can change the order/reposition the comments in jira.

Here is the KB article for onDemand.

order.png

Phil W June 1, 2018

Hi Yogesh,

You misunderstand. I have already changed the order with this setting. I want to move the new comment input to the top of the list.

Phil

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Yes, If you selected the Order as a descending then when a new comment will post/commented on the issue then it will show you on top of the list in Comment Tab of Activity panel.

Phil W June 1, 2018

Hi Yogesh,

This isn't the User Experience we have.

I set jira.issue.actions.order to "desc" when first configuring our environment. We get the comments in the correct order, with newest at the top, but the comment input remains stubbornly at the bottom of the list.

jira-comments-input-at-bottom.png

Phil

Like Jan de Groot likes this
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Sorry man, i am not getting it what exactly you want ..i tried my best.

Phil W June 1, 2018

Hey, that's OK. I added a picture, above, so you can see (highlighted) that the comment input is right at the end. I want it at the top, above the first comment.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

uhh...so you are talking about the Comment box/input, that you want at the top of the Comment list, as far as knowing this is not possible.

0 votes
Ivo Noort July 30, 2019

Hello Phil,

Did you ever get the comment field at the top of your issue layout?

Phil W July 30, 2019

No, though the new editor showns the comment input pinned to the bottom of the screen in many cases.

Ivo Noort July 30, 2019

I still have to scroll down to the bottom of the ticket.. :(
You would think they would be able to fix this in a year's time...

0 votes
Brett Wyrick May 23, 2019

According to this....

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/changes-to-issues-in-the-new-issue-view-966684842.html

The new "docked" comment bar should solve this. 

0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Hi!

There's already an accepted answer by @twong_atlassian to the similar question:

How do I move the new comment box to the top of the Commenst section?

Hope this helps.

Phil W June 1, 2018

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm not sure that the cited solution works for Cloud-based Jira - I can find nowhere to configure custom HTML.

If you know different, I'd welcome your guidance!

Cheers,

Phil

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Try to put this code to the announcement banner, you still should be able to edit it in the Cloud.

Phil W June 1, 2018

Thanks again. No idea where the "announcement banner" is configured. All I could find was dashboard "introduction" text input, but that isn't shown on issue pages.

Suggest an answer