Is there a way to move the Description field?

Samantha Bragg August 18, 2016

Feedback from users show a strong preference to move the description field on JIRA screens, but as it is an 'out of the box' field, this doesn't seem to be as easy to move as just dragging it up or down the screen design.
Is there a neat trick to this please? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user August 19, 2016

And just to warn you now, there are a number of "System Fields" that regardless of your screen layout will not move from their initial location.

j_belousek found the documentation regarding this. Check here in the "Tips" section:

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2016

No, I'm afraid you have to hack the core code in JIRA to do it, or inject some horrid (unstable and usually unreliable) javascript to botch a move of the field elsewhere during rendering.  Neither of those options are available for Cloud.

Carlos David June 7, 2017

what about on Jira Server? Can I use a web resource through script runner?

0 votes
Samantha Bragg August 26, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] and @Tom Proctor,

many thank you for your advice, it confirms what I had come to the conclusion of, but its always good to get a second or third opinion when something is causing pain!

I can now confidently explain that this is not possible and move on. 

Apologies for the delay in my reply, I was unable to respond as a new user initially.

Suggest an answer