Is there a way to change a user's email address?

Jenni Owens March 6, 2017

Google Apps user receiving "Unexpected error in the authentication system" when logging in.

Upon further investigation, his email has been set to a google email alias he owns.

Is there anyway to change this email?

2 answers

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2019

What of the article is incorrect? What is lacking in the answer? 

Christian Laguerre May 31, 2019

The answer to the question should be a firm no. An answer that results in the user losing functionality in exchange for a settings adjustment isn't acceptable. Being removed from the organization and disconnection of security policies is not a solution, nor should it merely be mentioned as a footnote. 

Perhaps the article could provide links to mitigation around changing the email address such as creating a new account and associating the existing open and in progress work to the new account with the appropriate email address.  

Like Paul H likes this
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2019

I think you are misunderstanding the article. They are providing a way to change it and in this case the user had registered with a email domain outside of their control. (original query) 

The actions are never meant to be permanent in regards to be removed from the organization for example... 

I haven't been administrating users for some time now but honestly if you have retested this and don't see same result as Atlassian suggest open a support case and let us know what is applicable now. 

Thank you

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2017
Linda Schmandt April 16, 2018

That doesn't talk about changing email.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2018

Did you actually review the link I posted? Anyways it should be possible in both Cloud and Server good luck. 

Screenshot_2018-04-16-22-32-52-32.png

Christian Laguerre May 31, 2019

so... it doesn't really answer the question...

Jeff Lew January 7, 2020

I'm a manager trying to edit a user's account and change their email address.  There is no option to do so.  The instructions above do not match the JIRA administration.

Like # people like this
Darren Smith January 22, 2020

Get used to this - Atlassian love a UI refresh and in turn all accumulated KBA are rendered obsolete.

I've been using and administering Jira for 15 years and still don't know how to administer things as the methods keep changing.

I think my favourite onscreen notification is when you click a button to be told "This function isn't available here, please switch back to the old admin site" - Great, because being confused by one admin site clearly isn't enough.

Like Paul H likes this
mamuka_gogiberidze November 3, 2021

I found a way to change existing user's email address by performing the following steps:

1. Go to Administration
  2. In the top header, click on Directory
  3. Search the user for which you are trying to change the email
  4. Click on Show Details
  5. Click into the email and edit it.

Suggest an answer