Is there a way to automate who has access to specific tickets in a Jira service desk project queue?

Tee Khema February 4, 2021

We are starting to have an issue where service desk team agents are making modifications to tickets in queues that are not a part of there group. Is there a way to have a rule setup that only a specific group of people are able to view or make modifications to tickets in a specific queue. 

We have set up triggers but this haven't resolve our issue. 

Unfortunately we are not able to provide a screen shot. 

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Hi @Tee Khema

do I understand it correctly that the Agents have permissions for a specific Jira Service Management projects (and they should have!) but for a specific Queue they should not?
If so, there is no option to adjust permissions on that particular level.
Queues are basically "only the output" of a JQL query - a filter tells what the Queue should show for requests.

In case you mean some users who are not entitled for contribution go into a specific Service Management project where they have permissions obviously but should not have at all you could take away the permissions from them following this guide.
However, they will be not able anymore to interact with customers anymore (it applies to the whole project instead of some queues).

While not being affiliated with the vendor, it also could make sense to evaluate if an App has a positive effect on the requirement you have, for example:
Queues for Jira Service Management:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216386/queues-for-jira-service-management?hosting=server&tab=overview

From the description it reads: "Hide queues you rarely visit to increase focus and use filters to narrow down the number of displayed tickets." - you could check with the vendor if this is what you are looking for.

Regards,
Daniel

Tee Khema February 6, 2021

Yes that is correct. I thought of a way to work around it. I feel if we use the dashboard feature and assign it to specific groups to only see tickets within that group and the ones specifically assigned to them. Then this would keep them out of the queues into tickets that do not resignate with them nor their team. I am still learning Jira so would love to get your feedback on this approach.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2021

This is a more organizational approach, isn't it? Doing so they would not be blocked to interact with a specific queue but offered a different approach.

The more I'm thinking of the requirement I am wondering if there should be a clarification on thy why there is interaction where you are not expecting it / intending it. Probably a misunderstanding or a different view on things (you'd know better how they interact).

That also impacts if your workaround will work or not. In case the group insists they have to look and interact with the requests a dashboard will not step them (while having the queues available nonetheless).

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

One way of doing it is to use issue security. It allows you to set permission on who can view the issue, you could then limit it to only allow the requestor and the assigned agent to see the ticket. Have a look at Configuring issue-level security for more information. 

Tee Khema February 4, 2021

Is there any other options. Our Helpdesk has this set to specific groupds already and we would not be allowed to make alterations to it. I feel if we use the dashboard feature and assign it to specific groups to only see tickets within that group and the ones specifically assigned to them. Then this would keep them out of the queues into tickets that do not resignate with them nor their team. I am still learning Jira so would love to get your feedback on this approach.

Suggest an answer