Is there a validation to prevent a ticket in a future sprint from transitioning?

Eric Blumberg March 7, 2019

I want to prevent tickets that are not assigned to an active sprint from transition from the status they are in. I want to prevent work on future sprint items from being started before the sprint becomes active.

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2019

Hello Eric,

I understand that you would like to make sure your issues are properly added to an active Sprint in order to proceed in your workflow. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, there is no validators or conditions that would meet your requirement on JIRA, however, we have created a feature request to have it implemented:

Validate if Issue is part of a Sprint in a Workflow

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can use the condition value field to ensure the issue is added to a Sprint, however, it validates only if an issue has received any value in the Sprint field and not if it is in a valid Sprint. That been said, it would work only for new issues that have never passed to a Sprint.

Let me know if you still have any questions and have a nice weekend! :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2019

I don't think there is a way to do this on Cloud.

On Server, I'd use Scriptrunner to write a condition that looks at the sprint field and blocks transitions if it's not the right sprint.  But we can't add conditions to Cloud (yet)

Suggest an answer