Is there a timeline showing what issue everyone is working on

Stefan Brocanelli March 28, 2022

Hi!

I am currently trying to organize the work inside my team a bit better and have set up the following system: each member of the team has issues that are assigned to him. The issues have a start time and a duration associated to them.

For the purposes of planning, I would like to see a timeline where each row in the timeline represents one team member. In this row I would then like to see what each team member is doing right now, or will be working on in the next weeks.

I have found the "Roadmap" feature, however Roadmaps is showing the epics/issues as rows in the timeline, which does not allow me to get a quick understanding of everyone's workload.

Here a sketch:

Timeline.png

Is there already something similar?

3 answers

3 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2022

Hi @Stefan Brocanelli 
I'm Nataliya from ActivityTimeline team. Taking into consideration your requirements it seems like our add-on fits your request. ActivityTimeline is a resource planning system where you can see all your tasks/epics/stories on a timeline view. Vacation/day-off, bookings, placeholders are also available in the add-on.

On the Left panel you can see Users or Teams or both as an individual row. On the right located a Timeline dashboard where you can schedule and assign the tasks to users. With drag-n-drop it can be easily managed.

There are ability to choose different scope (weekly/monthly/yearly) and see your past and future planning. Information on a card is customizable and you can select what important information you want to see.

Timeline_overview.gif

The workload and availability indicator will give you a clear vision of the available capacity of each Jira user/resource. Track and Reports could give you a clear vision on your projects. 
The Milestones panel keeps you milestones like releases or due dates.

If this solution fits your request we can provide a demo session for you if needed. There are many features that could be useful for you. Please feel free to ask me. 
Best, Nataliya

1 vote
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2022

Hi @Stefan Brocanelli

Mentioned above BigPicture app seems to match your needs perfectly. 
It’s a comprehensive tool that supports project management in every phase; helps to plan, manage and track the projects. Apart from Roadmap, Gantt, Board, Risks, etc., it contains a Resources module. The module displays a timeline with all assignees and their tasks and provides a clear overview of the current and planned team members' workload. 

image (20).png

Moreover, the Resources module provides all crucial information to manage resources both at project and portfolio levels but also can give an insight into resource utilization on a PI/Sprint level. You can display capacity, remaining capacity, and allocation both on the individual and Team level, which allows precise analysis of the consumption of currently utilized resources and forecasted availability. Data are color-coded, which helps quickly identify both overallocation and under- allocation.
Stefan Brocanelli March 28, 2022

Hi Anna,

it does look very promising! Could you go into detail about the configurability? For example:

- Can I choose a different amount of free time for a person depending on the week? Say during Week 51 Albingo will take 2 days off, so I want to set the "full battery" at 3 days instead of 5.

- I am guessing one has to manually assign an issue to a person in your tool, or does this happen automatically through the assignee field? What about the duration of a task?

- Is it possible to add Releases to such a view in the form of vertical bars?

- Is the text inside of the issue bars customizable? For example could I show the issue key and another arbitrary field?

- Color coding based on priority or issue type?

I hope you can answer my questions!

Thank you!

Cheers, Stefan

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
April 5, 2022

Hi @Stefan Brocanelli

Please find my answers below: 

• Yes, you can manage employees' holiday and working schedules as well as easily add absences. You can also enable the option to calculate the tasks period based on the assignee's working days.
  • BigPicture synchronizes with Jira. Therefore once the Assignee field is filled in Jira, the app will reflect it. Synchronization is bi-directional.
  • Unfortunately, it's not possible to add Releases to the view. However, on the Gantt module, you can create WBS based on Releases or group tasks by Releases and assignees.
  • Color coding is related to assignees' workload to underline their capacity is close to 0 or (orange) or exceed it (red). Capacity allocation can be presented in percentages, man-days, or as a heatmap. You can tell if everything is fine with your workloads with a single glance.

Please, let me know if you need any further explanations.
0 votes
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

Hi @Stefan Brocanelli 

You would need to look into something like Advanced Roadmaps (Jira Cloud Premium), Structure, Tempo Planner, or Big Picture. Those have more flexibility when it comes to grouping work by other data points.

Suggest an answer