Is there a recommended limit to number of values in a custom field?

Jeremy Price October 30, 2020

Hello All,

I am just checking to see if there is a recommended amount of values that can be listed in a custom field before it starts to give the Jira application performance issues?

I currently have a custom field that has over 200 values as a select list and the list will continue to grow to possible over a 1,000 at some point. I know that most performance issues within Jira are because of too many custom fields. However in this case I just want to make sure I don't have start to have performance issues when I have a custom field that has over a thousand values or possibly more at some point.

Just looking for some guidance on this if any one else has experienced this situation.

Eventually we will enable autocomplete renderer for Multi-select custom field and use that option as this list will become entirely too long to scroll through and select options.

Do any of you all have guidance or experience enabling the autocomplete renderer for multi-select fields? Does that cause even more performance issues do the road?

Link for Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-enable-autocomplete-renderer-for-multi-select-custom-field-in-jira-754978239.html

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Jeremy,

I have experience with both but not as high as a 1000.  From my experience when the issue initially loads and when you save it is slower but not that noticeable.  If the issue has a lot of custom fields on it plus this one it will most likely load slower than if this was the only field.  You might experience slower indexes but this can be mitigated by only associating the field to the issue types and projects it needs to be associated with.  The most we have ever had in values was in a cascading select list.  My guess is we were around 800 options and like I said it was a little slower but not anything to complain about.

Suggest an answer