Is there a difference between a user story, new feature, and enhancement Issue Types

Roger Davidson March 12, 2021

I am in the process of building a board for a supervisor. We are going to use the board for tracking of production of Audio Visual work. One job may have many parts to it, to complete the job. Other jobs will just have 1 part to complete. Does it matter whether i use a User Story, new feature, or enhancement issue type to complete the process through JIRA? If a sub-task is created can that sub-task be assigned a new issue type or does it need to stick with the original parent?

How many sub-tasks can there be for one parent?

Thanks,

Roger

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Hi @Roger Davidson 

Does it matter whether i use a User Story, new feature, or enhancement issue type to complete the process through JIRA?

Nope - up to you. If you are an admin you can change the name of the issue type to anything you like.

If a sub-task is created can that sub-task be assigned a new issue type or does it need to stick with the original parent?

Yes, you can move subtasks to different parents, just click on the ellipsis in the top right and select 'move'.

How many sub-tasks can there be for one parent?

I don't think there's a limit on the number you can create but I've heard it can impact performance if you have too many (as in >100).

Suggest an answer