Is the Issue Security to be set manually?

Merve Nur Bas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2020

Hi guys, 

let's say I configured my Issue Security Scheme as I wished. There is one thing I do not understand about the issue security. Is this to be set manually for each issue? 

How does it work?

Many thanks and best wishes.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2020

Hi Merve

You can set manually or set one by default upon creation.

Please refer to  Configuring issue-level security page for further information,
Regards

Merve Nur Bas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2020
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2020

You're welcome.
Alternatively you can enroll the  Issue Security in Jira Free course to learn more about this feature.

https://training.atlassian.com/skillbuilders

Merve Nur Bas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

Appreciate the link, Jack! I really like those skill builder courses. Nice idea. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

Yes, you set the security level like any other select list.

It is not a simple select list though, it has some extra functions on top of being a list of levels. You can only set a level if

1. You have the project permission to set the security
  2. You are included in the level you are trying to set (In other words, you can't secure an issue from yourself)
  3. It is an issue/task/story type issue - sub-tasks do not have security, their visibility is determined by that of their parent issue

Jira simply ignores the field in cases 1 and 3 when it's not going to do anything, not offering it to you on create/edit/transition.  In case 2, it reduces the list of levels you can select from, removing any you are not included in.

Merve Nur Bas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

Thank you for the explanation, Nic. I will certainly test the possibilities. 

Suggest an answer