Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to recover a deleted issue?

We don't know how, but we lost a few issues and all the data in them. We wonder if there is any way to recover all that information. 

Thank you.

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt Community Leader Jul 18, 2018

Basically no. Do not allow deleting issues. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted and anything you want to delete. I implement it with a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires the fill in a reason field. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding data that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history. 

Are deleted issues recorded in the Audit log?  Is there a way to see what issues were deleted?  I  want to see if the missing issues were deleted or something else happened.  (to prevent this issue in the future, I removed the Deletion permission from my project)

Like # people like this

It seems like a horrendous omission that Jira is a cloud based product in 2020 with no ability get data back.  This is a paid product.  Virtually every free or paid cloud product I've seen keeps all data forever.

Plus the design is 'dangerous by default' where all users seem to have delete rights and one has to put their IT engineer hat on to design around the delete issue.  

This thread is an issue for any and every Jira customer, how-about the product incorporate a solution out of the box.  My mac in 1985 had a recycle bin.

I couldn't agree more with the active admins above - the absence of a way for Admins to  restore Jira Cloud Issues is a HUGE functionality deficit.  It appears that with the new "Trash" functionality we have a way to restore Projects that have been deleted - but not issues.  This is basic missing admin functionality that needs to be corrected.  The "remove delete permissions" workaround is not a good solution.

Absolutely.  This is crazy.  I user accidently delete's an issue and boom they are screwed!  What kind of ..... lame product do you have here?  You guys claim to have an Enterprise solution.   

Where's the Jira Issue trash bin?   

Where's the recover issue from trash feature?

I believe the ability for sys or project admins to recover deleted issues would be a huge win for Atlassian, and I'm frankly not clear what technical issues are preventing this long standing request from being implemented.  As @Christopher Harris noted, this is such basic functionality in any enterprise application that it's baffling to me that it hasn't been implemented.

1 vote

Hi Jehosúa,

As @Joe Pitt said above, a Jira issue cannot be recovered once it's deleted. This is why it's very important to consider carefully the Delete issues permission.

However, are you sure that the issues are deleted? Maybe they just don't appear in your board. Have you tried searching for them using a JQL like:

Project = ABC and text ~ 'title of lost issue'

?

Claudiu 

yes, this is presently a fact "a Jira issue cannot be recovered once it's deleted".  Make that not a fact, make the product better, adopt the concept of a recycle-bin/deleted items like virtually every other product in existence and certainly any cloud product.

Like Steve Sobol likes this

Yes. Totally, completely, 100% unacceptable - and as long as Jira's been around, I can't believe no one has a problem with it. In fact, I'd have to believe that some of your enterprise customers must have complained about it at some point (and they throw enough money at you that I'm shocked that you haven't changed this behavior on behalf of one of those customers).

I mostly love Jira, but there are a handful of annoying design flaws. This, however, is far worse than an annoying design flaw. Thank GOD I happened to remember some of the details of the issue I just deleted (it was one of mine).

And while I'm complaining about this situation - may I request that you create some sort of confirmation dialog that asks me if I'm sure I want to delete issue XXX-12345? That would probably have prevented me from deleting the wrong issue (I wanted to delete one that I'd just created, not the one I actually deleted).

I mean, I'm a Jira admin and a power user, but I'm every bit as human as everyone else, and (obviously) I make mistakes.

Like Richard Ryan likes this
Joe Pitt Community Leader Sep 06, 2020

To me this boils down to a difference of philosophy. I, and many other including probably Atlassian, consider any tracking tool a system of record and you shouldn't delete from a system of record. PERIOD. The fact the forum is full of people wanting to recover issues shows people are messing up all the time when given the permission to delete.  

This choice shouldn't be a choice that is made for us. We should have the ultimate say.

And if we're going to continue to have a delete option, confirmation is essential. I would hope you're not going to try to defend the decision *not* to confirm deletions.

Like Diane Jentilet likes this

There are cases where an issue is duplicated in a project - I'd delete this as it is noise. I can also reject it, but if the option exists to delete, why wouldn't I? Errors in set up are not deemed as reportable content and are not needed for any sort of tracking. As someone else mentioned, I am the customer, user and admin - if I have the ability to delete and recover a project, provide the ability to delete and recover an issue. 

It's 2021, still no way for the Jira admin to restore deleted issues, and to search/view the audit log. Mindblowing. 

Like Pierre Geoffroy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you