Is it possible to hide a custom field from external Jira users such customers?

Elif Alverson January 18, 2019

Hello, 

Is it possible to hide a custom field from external Jira users  such customers? At the same time the same custom field will be visible to internal Jira users. 

Thank you. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

JIRA doesn't have field level security. 

Elif Alverson January 18, 2019

@Joe Pitt , thank you.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

the community has been asking for it when I started working with JIRA in 2006 so I don't think it is ever coming

Peter Blom December 3, 2020

What a horrible situation on our end 😅. We used plugins to hide the field in the server edition. Now we moved to Cloud for obvious reasons... But our way of working is just not supported by Cloud. And impossible to configure correctly. The moment anyone thinks of a workaround.. That would be great. We really need to hide custom fields in our situation. But also the hours planned and hours spend field.

0 votes
Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2020

Hi @Elif Alverson 

There may be a workaround if you are using Jira Service Management.

A potential workaround is to use ProForma (Lite (free) and paid).  ProForma allows the concept  of multiple forms (one form is visible to the customer) and the other only to user.  All the information would be on the ticket but separated into different forms.

ProForma forms can be either Internal (only visible or editable from the issue view) or external (visible and editable from the JSM portal). Agents can change form from internal to external and vise versa. You can also add internal tracking forms and make them external upon completion if you want to keep the customer in the loop about work completed.

An example of the multiple form concept is here.  This is an example of how it would look on the customer's view.

MultPortal (1).png

Meanwhile, you can also nominate which ones are internal/ external when you design the forms.

external.jpeg

So that gives you some ideas.

Good luck with it and to be transparent, I am from ProForma but I hope it also assists.

Peter Blom December 6, 2020

Thank you @Kate Caldecott ! I will definitely give this a try.

Suggest an answer