Is it possible to have distinct workflow depending on channel (portal or email)?

I would need to set different workflow (to set fields with default values, basically) depending on the channel the issue has been raised with (portal or email). Is it possible and how?

Thnak you very much,

Davide Paleari

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Not unless you set up some way to trap the route by which an issue was created.  

JIRA doesn't care if an issue was raised via the GUI, REST, Email, etc, it just logs the issue and does not distinguish between methods of creation.  So you'd need to do something to catch it.  Your requirement is a little harder than just catching the route.  Different workflows means you would need different projects or issue types, so what you probably want to do is set up two issue types, telling JIRA to use one type when issues arrive via email, and another when they come in via the portal.

Hi Nic, your suggestion is good: setting up a specific issue type to associate to the email channel, I can configure a workflow on that only issue type. The problem now is: how can I hide that issue type from being visible on the portal? Thank you, very much

That's where my suggestion falls down - you can't hide issue types from the portal (without code, which you can't do on Cloud)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

92 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you