Is it possible to export comments using "Export csv (Current fields)"? It does not work

Polina Penkovskaia May 16, 2023

I tried to choose the field "Comments" from the list in order to provide the export. The comment field is always empty. The comments can be exported only if you choose "Export csv (All Fields)". Why is it? Why is it not possible to export comments using "Export csv (Current fields)" and choose the comment field from the list of columns?

The attachments can be exported as well only by using "Export csv (All Fields)".

4 answers

1 vote
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Polina Penkovskaia 

Welcome to the community.

I assume it is not possible to change Current Fields option behavior. All Fields provides it.

However, for further customization, there are several add-ons in the marketplace. Please take a look at them:

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Polina Penkovskaia,

welcome to the community!

As others have already commented, this isn't currently available in "plain" Jira, however if you are open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there are multiple options available. I myself work on an app in which this would be trivial to do, JXL for Jira.

Since you've tagged your question for Jira Server: As you may have heard, apps sales have ended for Jira Server. Are you planning to migrate to Data Center or Cloud? I'd strongly recommend that. If you need some more time, JXL is perfectly compatible with Jira Server; it's just that we need to generate a license for you. If the above looks interesting, just let me know, and I'll happily start a free trial for you.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

You can export the comments along with your selected fields to Excel using the Better Excel Exporter app, then re-save the spreadsheet from Excel to CSV using the built-in feature:

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-comments.png

(Discl. it is a paid and supported app developed by our team.)

0 votes
Barnali Putatunda
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2023

HI Polina,
You are correct, that is the behavior Jira offers currently. Though it may not be convenient always, unfortunately that is the only way available now in Jira out of box.

Otherwise, there are some marketplace apps, which can offer you the possibility to export the comment data without exporting all fields.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer