Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I export comments in the issues?

Sofia Grunspan November 4, 2022

When I do my reports, I export the issues in XLSX format (Excel spreadsheet) but I've been asked to export the comments too, there is a way to do this? 

My environment is Cloud. 

Thanks 

5 answers

4 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2022

Hi @Sofia Grunspan 

You can export comments and their history with Issue History for Jira to CSV or Excel. Just add the Comments field to the grid and click on the Export button.

export comments in jira.png

The app is developed by my team, let me know if you have any questions.

Eric Esparza December 13, 2023

Which is this app?

Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2023
4 votes
Answer accepted
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
November 7, 2022

@Sofia Grunspan If you are looking to export to a native Excel spreadsheet and not CSV, you follow this guide on how to export Jira comments to Excel with Better Excel Exporter.

As others already mentioned, comment is not a field you can add to Issue Navigator to export using built-in Export features. CSV is one solution but it's usually not the well-readable, expected format for end-users.

Browse some real-life examples. You can even decide if you want to include internal JSM comments or not:

jira-service-management-tickets-without-internal-comments.png

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2022

@Sofia Grunspan -

Hi Sofia:

You will need to use the option of Export CSV (all fields).  Once you open the CSV in Excel, you will find multiple columns for "Comments".  Example - My issue has two comments, and the CSV file contains the following -

2022-11-04_15-55-00.png

NOTE - In the JQL result via the Search UI, you cannot add the COMMENTS column in the display.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Allison Carlson December 8, 2023

Agree with @Joseph Chung Yin !  doing an export of all fields is how I add comments to my csv file when doing export from Jira.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2022

Hi @Sofia Grunspan 

1. Configure a JQL query returning the issues you would like to export.
  2. Once you create and run your JQL query, click on the "Export" button at the top-right corner of the search page where you created your query and select the option "Export Excel CSV (All fields)":

E4A1AD40-91D2-4B56-9289-DF2E3EFFCAA2.png

The exported CSV file will properly contain all your issue fields, including each comment made. Each comment will be mapped in a different "Comment" column in chronological order.

This is confirmed by Atlassian: source

Best regards,

Hamza

0 votes
chengran327 September 8, 2023

You can always convert to xml and use chatgpt to help you digest and convert it to formal csv table.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events