Is it possible to edit a custom field type?

Deleted user August 15, 2011

We have a custom field of type text. Now a situation has arised which requires to have this field as a Select List. I didn't see a possible conversion in JIRA.

My question is, Is it actually not possible to change a field type after we create one? What is the route to get this done in this scenario provided we also have data assigned to the field.

PS: We are on JIRA Studio.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
LuziaL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2011

In JIRA Studio, we can handle you a backup of your JIRA data to be restored locally - so you can manipulate the database and provide us a xml backup to import back with the right custom field type.

Deleted user August 22, 2011

WOW! That will be great. Do you want me to create a ticket for this? I presume, I'll have to have a local instance of JIRA for this. Right? It will be great if you can also elaborate on the steps to be followed

1 vote
Jaan Raamets August 15, 2011

If the text field does not have that many different values, then create a search for one value, use Bulk change (under Tools) and select corresponding Select List value. Repeat until all the text field values are converted.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2011

in JIRA Studio, it may not be possible. You can manipulate the database on a normal JIRA but you will have to make sure the existing text field values are valid options for the select list!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events