Is it possible to copy comments from a Classic Software project to a Classic Service Desk project?

Cooper Meredith November 8, 2019

My goal is to help alleviate the actions of copying and pasting comments from one project to another. We currently have a project that an outside vendor is using for their development, but we don't necessarily want them to have access to the Service Desk project that customers or internal business units use.

There are occasional cases where the outside development team needs to communicate with the a business unit. What I'd like to see happen is that a comment from the Classic Software project would be copied over automatically to the LINKED Service Desk project case and vice versa so that we don't have to give an outside team access to everything.

Is this doable, or is there a better practice for what the goal is?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2019

Hello Cooper,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

It's possible to automatically copy a comment from a ticket to another, but currently, we can do this only using an add-on since this option is not available on the built-in automation in Jira Service Desk.

The add-on that has this option is Automation for Jira (there is a free version). Below is an example that will copy a comment when the comment is added to a linked issue. It's not specific for a project, it will run for any issue and project.

Screenshot 2019-11-11_11-47-01-076.png

You can use the free version to test and confirm if that's what you need for your environment.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Cooper Meredith November 11, 2019

This is definitely what I needed!

But now I'm going to run into the problem with the Rule Actor because you're not able to change from the automatic "Automation for Jira" actor.

Thanks for your help

Suggest an answer