Is it possible to change the "Reporter" of an issue in a company managed project?

Tony Moore September 1, 2022

Previously on a team managed project I was able to change the reporter field, but now in a company managed project I am unable to change the reporter field when opening an issue. Is there a setting in the configuration to set this to allow the reporter field to be changed?

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Tony Moore 

It's a permission in Company-managed Project - you need permission to Modify Reporter.

To change this:

1. Go to Jira Settings > Issues
  2. Select Permission Schemes from the left-hand menu
  3. Select the Permission Scheme pertaining to your Project
  4. Ensure the relevant user-level has the permission to Modify Reporter. For example, does another Project Role need to be added?

If the appropriate Project Role is in this permission:

1. Go to Project Settings > People
  2. Ensure users are assigned the appropriate role to get access to this permission

Let us know if this helps resolve your query!

Ste

Tony Moore September 1, 2022

Those specific steps did not get me there, as the options were not present on my Jira instance. However, I was able to utilize the Permission Helper to diagnose the issue, and as an administrator, I was able to find out how to add my self to the appropriate group. Not sure why I wasn't included in the group already, but we all know about assumptions! Thanks.

Like Ste Wright likes this
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Ah yes! It could be a Group also.

I find Roles (even if you also use Groups in them) are easier to manage on a per-project basis, but there are lots of security requirements at companies so I understand why alternate methods are used :)

Ste

Lora Lozano June 26, 2024

Resurrecting this thread.

What's the reasoning for having the Reporter field an admin permission by default for company-managed projects? Some of our [non-admin] users want to change the reporter, but since they don't have permissions to do so, they ask a project admin to do it. I'd like to consider allowing users/developers to change the reporter, but I'd like to understand first the reasoning behind reporter being an admin permission.

Thank you in advance.

Like Catherine Clarkson likes this
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2024

Hi @Lora Lozano 

I don't know why it's admin only - potentially to ensure reporter remains creator, so it visualises who created the issue? But there is a field also called "creator" you can search for.

Personally, I let users modify the reporter - I think it's useful to use it for more than just the creator - eg. the product owner.

Ste

Lora Lozano June 29, 2024

Thanks, @Ste Wright. Agree, Reporter is more important and useful to us than Creator. For us, sometimes the creator is creating the ticket oh behalf of the reporter, so the creator wants to be able to specify the actual reporter.

Lora

Like Jamie Sutcliffe likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events