Is it possible to auto transition to another status based off of a date without using a plugin?

David Anthony December 10, 2019

I'm trying to automate transitioning between two statuses if the due date field is equal to the current date using the built in automation. I'm pretty sure I have the automation correct but I can't find an applicable trigger.

status = "pending" and duedate = startofday() 

Then transition to In Progress

From what I've read, Automation for JIRA is recommended but I want to see if there is another way that i'm missing.  Maybe i can do this through the workflow?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi @David Anthony ,

I think you are right that there is no good trigger available in JSD automation for the use case you describe in your scenario. Maybe you can raise a feature request for it.

Solving your case through workflow is not an option either, because your automation should be triggered through a transition then. And that is not the case, as you want to specifically want to search for issues matching a condition based on the comparison of due date vs the current moment in time.

I guess Automation for Jira is probably your best friend in this case, as it allows you to trigger the automation specifically in this type of scenarios.

On a side note - it might be a good idea to modify your JQL to something like:

status = Pending AND due >= StartOfDay()

Suggest an answer