Is it possible to add labels after a bug is closed?

Hannah Williams November 27, 2015

We have an internal process whereby after bugs are closed, another team reviews for automated testing. In order to see a list of bugs that need reviewing we use labels and the issue filter. However we can not add labels (or make any edits) without reopening, then closing the bug again, which is tedious. 

Any ideas?

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2015

Paulo's suggestion does open up your issues to all edits - the other option is to have a transition from closed to closed, with a screen on it that allows the user to update whatever fields you want to allow them to change.

It might also be worth a look at your process - should you really be reviewing closed stuff for automated testing?  That comment suggests that you haven't really finished with the issue and it's not at its real end point - consider changing the "closed" status to something showing "review for automated testing" and then having "closed" after that when they decide it doesn't need it, or they've dealt with the testing.

The reason closed tends to have edits disabled (and I tend to do it to comments as well) is that a closed issue really is ended - the desire to edit or comment on it strongly suggests it has not been finished, and it should be re-opened to show that it wasn't done with!

1 vote
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2015

Hello Hannah,

By default, JIRA has a paramater in the Closed status which does not allow the issue edition, but you can remove it off as described in the following link:

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2015

I always suggest to keep this "Lock Close Issues" option in place. I urge you to leave it there and let closed issues be closed. The intentions for solely updating certain closed tickets so that it can be easily queried is not enough to remove this restriction which will lead your other tickets open to vulnerability.

What I will suggest however is to tackle your problem in a different way. A couple of suggestions:

• Put a process in place so that a "Label" or a flag (e.g. Text Custom field) is updated if you want a certain Bug to be reviewed just before the issue was closed. You can restrict people from transition all Bugs to Close without updating the field "Needs Review Y/N?" field.
  • Closed Bugs ideally should belong to a certain "Fix Version" (if you ever use that). Crafting a JQL for that would be easy.
  • Use a certain "Date Range" in your JQL. Let's say you need to review bugs that were closed the whole November would be easy
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2015

I'm not sure about the fix version idea there - they're there to say where you planned to fix it, and when you did, it's not for flagged something as closed.

Suggest an answer