Is it better to use a local database user for the JIRA database or an authenticated system user?

We are expanding the use of both JIRA and Confluence at my company.  Currently, JIRA and Confluence access their databases via a user local to that database, as suggested in the set up instructions.  Some people at my company dislike this approach and think we should use a user account that is authenticated vs. our company domain.  Is there a best practice or technical reason to prefer one vs. another?

My thanks in advance for any assistance with this question.

1 answer

Depends on how your server is set up. My company for example has set our JIRA server to only be accessible on the local company network, so we're using the same setup as suggested in the instructions. If your JIRA server is open, as in accessible via the internet I'd go for the authenticated user. It's just more secure.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

22,863 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you