Is Smart Query user-specific or system-wide once it is enabled

Suzanne Seaton February 7, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Searching for issues

Is Smart Query user-specific or system-wide once it is enabled? We are having challenges with a query that we are using in a script and want to make sure that it is only turned on for a user. I am a system administrator and when I use Smart Query I want to make sure that it does not affect other processes. I use it sometimes.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2017

Hi Suzanne,

For Smart querying, when you mention "enabled" do you mean when the yellow warning box saying "Smart querying activated." appears?:

smart-query.png

This isn't activating anything anything at system-wide or user level.

Rather, it is a warning to let you know that smart querying was activated for the particular search you just made (i.e. JIRA interpreted your search as containing smart query search terms).

The "Run search without smart query" link gives you the option to run the search as a basic search instead, but it won't effect global, user settings, or any subsequent searches. Any search with terms that JIRA interprets as 'smart query' terms will cause the message will show.

Does that help a bit?

I'm not sure how your script is querying, but shouldn't be affected by you (or any other user) doing smart queries.

Sam

On a related note, there is an open suggestion for the ability to disable smart query here, as it annoys some people, but so far no comments from Atlassian:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-59121

0 votes
Suzanne Seaton February 9, 2017

Hi Sam yes, that helps a lot! Thank you.

0 votes
Suzanne Seaton February 9, 2017

Thank you Sam! yes, it was a long shot but we didn't understand what Smart Query meant and this helps a lot.

Suggest an answer