Importing attachments when URI is not public.

Bryan Tackaberry May 17, 2021

Hi all.

I'm migrating from an old external system into Jira using the System's External System Import option, having built a valid json file. This includes attachment files and I'm providing a URI that is valid in the old system (as I've sign into that system), but not  on the Jira's import server.  That is, the URI is not public.

Have others encountered this before and if so, suggestions please, on how to over come during importing.  (Only idea I have have is to import the issues without attachments and afterwards use the API to download each attachment to the issue one at a time.  Pain!)

Many thanks

Bryan

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

Hey @Bryan Tackaberry 

Welcome to community. You can always do the attachment part later with your other idea. You can visit this post to see a similar answer on how to use API to easily achieve transfer to any instance without you downloading any of the files. See my comments on the post link above. Let us know how it goes.

Bryan Tackaberry May 18, 2021

Hi and thank you for your reply.

It's likely my approach will be similar to that you described.  An alternative that might work would be to (temporary) copy all attachments to publicly shared dropbox folder (or similar) before I migrate and supply those URL to the migrator.

Again, thank you

Bryan

0 votes
LeCobb June 22, 2022

(Only idea I have have is to import the issues without attachments and afterwards use the API to download each attachment to the issue one at a time.  Pain!)

Hi, did you mean download them on hard disk ?

Suggest an answer