Import values to Cascating Select Field

Genival Neves Brasil Junior August 30, 2021

Dear friends, i have been created a Cascating Select Field on my project to use information from another system and keep the information on the same pattern as well.

Is there any process that allows me to import a list of values into this field using a CSV or JSON file?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2021

Here is a post that helped me do this - Importing-into-Cascading-Select-field-Possible 

basically you use “=>“ as a separator - I.e.  "Parent Value => Child Value"

Genival Neves Brasil Junior September 1, 2021

Hi Jack,

I performed the data import process in JIRA, following the tool instructions and the tips you provided.

However, I noticed that when performing this action, the system is feeding the cascading list field with the informed values, but it is also creating issues for each line of the test file, as shown in the attachment.

Is this a characteristic of this import process or is there any action that should be taken to prevent Issues from being created?

Att Junior

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2021

I’m not sure I’m following so bear with me if the following is off base.

Generally speaking the import CSV solution is for creating new issues within a project. Part of that importing process is filling in appropriate data fields including the capability of filling in cascading field. Are you possibly wanting to update a cascading field of pre-existing issues in a project? If that is indeed your objective then what you need to do is to include the specific issue ID in the first column of your CSV so that it is not creating new issue but rather updating existing issues.

Here is one article that proposes an update process. Not specific to your cascading UC but should give you an understanding. how-to-change-the-issue-creation-date-using-csv-import 

Hi Jack, 

Thank your fast answer .... but the scenario is a little bit diferente.

I just need to include new values in cascading field.

The actual process is doing this and creating new issues on JIRA and this is my problem.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2021

I’m sorry I’m just not following here.

are you saying you just want to add new values into the existing custom field so that they can be selected going forward? If this is the case are you simply not wanting to add them manually because there’s too many and you’re looking for an automated means of including them?

sorry if I’m still misunderstanding.

Exactly... this is the problem. I have diferents list of values according to the project and i pretend to use import process to include the values.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2021

Question for you. Did the new values you imported “stick”? Are they in the available options now, i.e. if you create a new issue does the field show all values? If so then here is another approach. Create a dummy project and associate the field there. Use import to create a new issue with each desired option. Once done verify your real project has all available options. Once complete trash your dummy project or keep it around for future testing purposes.

1 vote
Sooxin September 8, 2021
Adi Lerner September 18, 2021

This doesn't really help me, as it creates an issue for each of the rows... Exactly what I don't want happening...

KimmoS February 28, 2022

You can do this with an existing ticket or a single new one

Issue Key;Summary; Cascading field
HELP-1;Cascading list temp;A -> a.1
HELP-1;Cascading list temp;A -> a.2
HELP-1;Cascading list temp;A -> a.3

Replace HELP-1 with an existing Issue Key. The last value A-a.3 is shown on the Ticket, but the system configuration shows all the three combinations. Then just remove this one ticket.

Another alternative: Add a label, once the import is done, search with the label and do bulk delete.

Suggest an answer