Importing into Cascading Select field - Possible?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

So I have done some searching in the Community already and all of the posts seemed to be <=2013 and the answer was basically 'you can't do that'. I thought I would refresh the question in the Community.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how?

Any addon app that might achieve?

Any crazy workaround ideas? Such as the one that woke me at 4am today - "Maybe I could import the two values in as labels. Then I could JQL search all issue w/ select list pairs and use Bulk edit to set the values." Should work and oh what fun that would be to boot!

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

Hi @Jack Brickey , 

I've done this before with a simple CSV import. It's quite simple, as for cascading fields you need to have both fields value in the same cell. For example, if your first value is "Tool" and second value is "Jira", it would look like this :

Issue ID,Summary,Cascading Field

PROJECT-12,My issue,Tool => Jira

This way it's also easy to build your import file in Excel, as you can use functions like CONCAT to merge cell values in a single cell for a large dataset.

Let me know if you have more questions !

--Alexis

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2020

thanks Alexis! indeed it works and I am indeed using concatenate in excel for this.

Sanda M_ May 4, 2021

Hi Alexis,

Did you use External System Import function or just import issue from CSV function to successfully load it? I used the Import issue from CSV function using the format of Parent Value -> Child Value, but Child Value did not get load.

Thank you for your help.

SM

Like Lee Cash likes this
Edward Moore July 1, 2021

Alexis do you literally mean "Parent Value => Child Value" with the equals and the greater than?

when formatted like that I get this warning

WARN - The value [ {null=PreQuote = Auto-Renewal and Approval} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Core Capability ]. The value [ {null=PreQuote = Auto-Renewal and Approval} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
Like Amanda Culver likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

Yes that is the correct format. 

in your case regarding the warning I wonder if the auto-renewal is the culprit? specifically the “-“. 

The equal sign before the right-arrow did not work for me but using hyphen arrow does (using Jira Cloud)

->

This is documented by Atlassian here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/#ImportingdatafromCSV-CSVfilestructure

Like # people like this
Lee Cash November 26, 2021

The hyphen solution doesn't work for child values (only the parent is uploaded) without using the Admin Import tool, which a lot of us don't have. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-45878

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2022

This is so silly that end users cant import child values.  This is making me so frustrated with this system.  There is always some limitation that end users cant do making it so us admins need to do it for them.  

Michelle Gronwold January 24, 2024

Does this work for Jira Server/Data Center? It did not using xxx => xxxx. 

All that happened for me was getting a new Parent in my cascading select options called "xxxx => xxxx" literally. No child.

2 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2023

NOTE: 2023 Aug importing into Data Center 8.22.6 - the external system importer imports hyphens between words fine but just as normal strings, to import a parent/child cascade field entry the exported hyphen between values needs to be replaced with a hyphen greater than symbol (->).

Also NOTE: the field needs to have a global context to be listed as a destination field in the source/destination field page. 

Michelle Gronwold January 24, 2024

Thank you! This format worked for me with Jira Server/Data Center.

My field in Excel CSV file: "CRG Mgmt -> Report Submission"

My field in Jira server:

Capture.PNG

0 votes
shikha Goswami June 30, 2021

hy  @Jack Brickey i am trying to import the test cases from excel to jira and i want to map the fields to jira so the cascaded hiearchy is  not getting mapped in jira can u plz suggest me a solution for this 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2022

The method of populating cascading fields using CSV import is, as stated above....

first value -> second value

For example...

State -> City

California -> Sacramento 

0 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2020

you can edit them with automation for jira (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Automation-for-Jira-use-JSON-to-update-2-Cascading-select-custom/qaq-p/1413414 ).

so your workaround with temp. import values as label should be possible

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2020

thanks Alexander. I was contemplating this very improvement on the label work around. appreciate the reference will certainly have a look.

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2020

Hi @Jack Brickey 

It is possible, using REST API to append the values into an issue. I believe importing cascading select list via the Importer isn't supported yet because the nesting is very complex. I would like to understand better, is the data going to be extracted from a CSV file or where's the source data value coming from?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2020

csv. it is a painful import process as it is coming from Freshdesk and I have to manipulate the exported data first

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2020

If the exported data is sorted correctly on a csv file with the values in different columns. I believe there's a way to import those values in a loop into Jira given that the cascading select list options already exist. if the options doesn't exist, that too can be done first via API as well.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events