Impact analysis for planned changes in configurations?

Ingo Wenke May 25, 2023

Hi all,

while maintaining the JSM and JSW ecosystem, we would like to keep the system clean and lean. 

We would like to check where filters and issue types are used to make an impact analysis.

E.g. we have an issue type named "Bananas" and we now want to rename this issue type to "Fruits". So we need to know which filters and boards uses this issue type name.

Story:

As an admin

I would like to see where issue type names and filters (filter names) are used, 

to know the impact of a change to such an object.

Is such an impact analysis tool available, maybe on the market place?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Hi @Ingo Wenke 

This is quite interesting question you had there. To my knowledge I do not know of such an app. However a workaround could include:

• A JSON export of all filters with their JQL
  • Xlsx process of the exported data

If such workaround will suit your need then use the following endpoint to get all filters:

https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL

If you have more that 100 filters, then you have to re run the above endpoint for the next page etc.

After you have your JSON exports, pass them on a converter from JSON to CSV (like this one)

Download the exported csv on your excel and process the jql column, after filtering it with "issuetype".

0 votes
Ingo Wenke May 26, 2023

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ ,

thanks for your answer which is part of a manual impact analysis.

Just trapped last night with automation. Name changes are not propagated to automation rules, too.

Maybe we can develop a user guide to analyze impact?

1. export all filters and check with external tool

2. export all automation rules and check with external tool

3. (How can I detect direct usage of issue type names within a board-filter?)

4. export dashboard-add on configurations ...

5. ...

I think, we need a refactoring tool / function within Jira. Hope s.o. will implement this in future.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events