• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • I would like to restrict acces to a JIRA project so that only those users can access it (browse issues) who logged work the day before. Thus incentivising logging work daily. Would that be possible?

I would like to restrict acces to a JIRA project so that only those users can access it (browse issues) who logged work the day before. Thus incentivising logging work daily. Would that be possible?

Áron_Bányász December 17, 2016

1 answer

3 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2016

Although creative, I doubt that this is the best idea ever. I don't think this is possible and - even if it were - you would run into so many problems that I'd recommend other solutions:

• on Mondays only people who logged work on Saturday and Sunday would be able to access the project
  • if somebody has a day off or gets ill, he would no longer be able to access the project
  • if someone for any reason does not participate on the project, he/she would no longer be able to access te project

If your goal is to incentivise logging work, make sure you make this visible. For team leads to be able to follow up team members' timesheets, for team members themselves just to see the status of their timesheets (potentially compared to their team members'). Project the team timesheets on a big tv, take a minute or so to ask people if they have completed yesterday's timesheet, ...

There's a lot of ways you can do this, using JQL filters or using timesheet add-ons like Tempo Timesheets.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2016

I completely agree with Walter here, this would cause you all sorts of problems and really annoy your users.  Inform them, don't beat them up.

I wanted to add the technical point too - you would need to write code, to do this.  I don't think you could even do it in an add-on, I suspect you've have to hack the core of the permissions system.

That also means it's completely impossible to do on Cloud, as you can't touch the code.

Áron_Bányász December 17, 2016

Thanks for the answer! We were thinking about writing code, but now I see that we would only able to do it if we had JIRA on our server and not on cloud.

Áron_Bányász December 18, 2016

Thanks for the answer! 

Apart from making it visible. Is there any other way to prompt the users to log their hours for the day before in the morning?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2016

I suppose you are referring to how the system may do this automatically for you. We do this with Tempo Timesheets and use the included Scheduler to send out notifications on a monthly basis (this can be weekly or bi-weekly as well).

On a daily basis, we have our standup meetings and a one of our colleagues who shouts out whether yesterday's timesheets are complete with everyone - I kid you not. May seem a bit strange, but fairly effective and less intrusive than sending a daily e-mail or something, which very soon will end up being ignored as it is not personal anyway.

Try to explain to your team what the importance is, communicate a lot and at regular intervals close and approve timesheets. That works pretty well in our daily practice.

Suggest an answer