I want to use Jira Automation to create as many child issues as the number of values selected in mul

koutarou ishibashi October 22, 2023

I want to create multiple child issues corresponding to the values selected in the Custom Fields_A when executing a manual trigger using Jira Automation
I want to put the value selected in the Custom Fields_A in the Custom Fields_B of a child issue.

The number you choose for the Custom Fields_A is not constant each time.

Custom Fields_A is of type Select List (multiple choices).
The values are as follows.
Issue_1
Issue_2
Issue_3
Issue_4

The type of Custom Fields_B is Select List (single choice).
Value is the same as Custom Fields_A
Issue_1
Issue_2
Issue_3
Issue_4

Operation example 1
If you select the following for the Custom Fields_A value:
Issue_1
Issue_2
Issue_3
Issue_4

In that case, I want to create a child assignment with the following values.
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_1
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_2
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_3
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_4

Operation example 2
If you select the following for the Custom Fields_A value:
Issue_2
Issue_4

In that case, I want to create a child assignment with the following values.
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_2
One child issue whose value of the Custom Fields_B of Select List (single choice) is Issue_4

Is there a good way to achieve the above with Jira Automation?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2023

Hi @koutarou ishibashi 

You want to create an issue for each selected value in a multiple-select custom field (rather than for a number stored in a field).  You describe doing this with a Manually Triggered rule.

For that, please try using the Advanced Branch on the values in your custom field, as described here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935

I recommend adding a condition inside of the branch to detect if the issue has already been created.  That will address any potential timing problems that could occur if a persons selects one value, exits the field, and then immediately adds another field.

One more thing to consider: what do you want to happen if a value is removed from the list? For example, a value is selected in error and the user then corrects that issue.

Kind regards,
Bill

koutarou ishibashi October 25, 2023

Done. thank you

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
2 votes
Shubham Burghate October 22, 2023

Hi,

You can create Automation which checks the value of Custom field_A based on it, create child issue with same value for single choice field please check the snap for some idea how to create with if ese branching.

automation.PNG 

0 votes
Asha Goyal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2023

Hi @koutarou ishibashi 

Scriptrunner would be the best but if you want to achive it through automation please refer to the below link. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/How-to-create-dynamic-looping-in-Automation-for-Jira/ba-p/2293077#M267

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events