I want to create my story in a different project from the epic

Bradley Davidson January 26, 2021

I have a project for all of my epics.

My epic has a component that specifies the project that it belongs to (used for filtering).

After I create an epic I want any story created within the epic to automatically be set to a different project (based on the epic component).

How do I do this using automation?

I can see how to test the component when a story is created but can't see how to set the project.

2 answers

0 votes
ashwin_volante December 19, 2022

I was hoping to find an answer with this question, but it seems like there is no easy way but to create the issue separately and then link it to the Epic. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

When you create the issue are you not creating in the project it belongs in? There isn’t a move function in Automation I think as that is complicated and subject to fail due to needing manual decisions. Your UC is odd to me in that you place epics in a separate project. Maybe I’m misunderstanding though. 

Bradley Davidson January 27, 2021

No, the projects are separate for stories, but our epics are centralized in a project that only allows epics.  When I highlight an epic and try to create a story within the epic, I wanted it to automatically create the story in the correct project based on the component.

I know I read another post that said this could be done but it just referred the user to the automation documentation and in there I cannot see anywhere to set the project on the new story and that is where I have my problem.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

OOTB Automation does not support moving an issue to another project. Here is a thread you might find interesting. Nic provides some insight here and mentions there are apps that could help you achieve this. I'm still not sure why you wouldn't create the issue in the correct project and simply link the right Epic in your 'epic container project'. Of course I don't really need to understand it either. ;-)

Like Bradley Davidson likes this
Bradley Davidson January 27, 2021

One of the reasons for having all epics in 1 project is to make use of the Road Map and be able to show the progress and timeline for all epics.  Having them in separate projects doesn't seem to allow this.

It also allows for easy cross-project epics to be centralized instead of having it in one project but then having tickets in a different project.

Just a few of the reasons.

Thanks for the replies and link.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events